MOTHRA: Artist-Parent Project
2023 A New Phase
This no frills website is a placeholder until we get the nice new one up and running.
In 2023 MOTHRA will be offering four artist-parent, child-inclusive, artist residencies. Our current host institution is Artscape Gibraltar Point, on Toronto Island, Canada.
MOTHRA is interested in bringing together the parent child relationship in the artist residency setting, not separating the child from the adult for art making purposes. The children are why this project exists, and we want to include them as contributors.
What 2023 will look like
- A focus on research, networking, gathering information and data related to artist-parents and carers in Canada – ie. travel, online think-tanks, interviews etc…
- We want to encourage discussion and demand change in how artist caregivers and the children they may care for are acknowledged, welcomed, and accommodated for.
- Our main questions: How does art practice change when we admit to these relationships in our lives? Particularly the parent/child relationship? And, Why do we continue to accept modes of professionalism that deny these relationships?
Some things we will be working on during the residencies:
- Writing a sample grant application for a pregnant artist and/or a new parent: thinking of ways to include this life changing experience into one’s art practice, how does this experience/relationship inform one’s work? Where is the value? How is this experience a contribution to knowledge, one’s art practice, the sector?
- We will develop Guidelines and suggestions of Best Practice for institutions who run residencies in order for them to be accommodating and inclusive of artist-parents and children.
- Interviews with YOU. What has your experience been like?
We are looking for artists who have worked with or alongside their child(ren), or who want to try this, and who are willing to experiment. This is a chance to work these things out in practice.
We like to bring at least one former MOTHRA resident back to every residency! If you’ve already come along, don’t be shy, apply again!
- March 13 - 20, Deadline to apply: January 15th
July 4 - 17, Deadline to apply: April 10th – option of 1 or 2 week stay
- **NEW** July 4 - 10
- **NEW** July 10 -17
- September 18 - 25, Deadline to apply: June 16th
- November 13 - 20, Deadline to apply: August 18th
- The fee structure has changed for 2023. While we strive to keep costs down for artists on this residency we also have to negotiate with our hosts. HST will be added to the total.
- One adult, one child: $700
- Additional child/partner: $100 ea.
- July 4 - 17: One adult, one child: $900
- **NEW** July 4 - 10: One adult, one child: $640
- **NEW** July 10 - 17: One adult, one child: $700
- Additional child/partner: $100 ea.
- This cost covers transportation to and from AGP on arrival and departure days, your accommodation, your studio, access to common spaces, programming, and some meals will be provided (new this year!).
- We have limited subsidy to help offset the cost of attending. Should you feel that you require this in order to attend, please state this in your application form.
- Artscape Gibraltar Point is the former Island school. It still has a “school” feel. It’s a little rough around the edges, but has a charming magic. Most studios are large and will be shared. There are limited small private studios. Bedrooms are private. Shared washrooms/showers are in the hall near the bedrooms. A limited number of bedrooms come with a toilet/sink/shower. There is a shared kitchen and common spaces.There is also, of course, the great outdoors.
Any questions, comments, or bugs with the application form, please email: contactmothra (AT) gmail.com